LCSO Youth Advisory Council
The Leon County Sheriff’s Office (LCSO) Youth Advisory Council (YAC) provides Leon County’s young people with an active role in addressing youth issues. It is the undertaking of the YAC to advise the Sheriff, reach out to Leon County teens, inform them of existing opportunities, and listens to suggestions on what the Sheriff’s Office can do to improve its youth-oriented efforts. The YAC is designed to bring topics of mutual interest to Leon County youth and local law enforcement directly to the attention of Sheriff McNeil through open dialogue. Members of the YAC will develop skills in advocacy, leadership, and team building while creating strategies to address community issues. They will use their voices to share their experiences to help make the youth of Leon County – ALLin!
The YAC will meet monthly during the current school year and meet with the Sheriff and/or Command staff quarterly to address topics, issues, and concerns. The YAC operational year will run from September through June to coincide with the traditional school year. YAC will meet with the Sheriff and/or Command staff in November, February, and May.
The YAC will be directed by a Leadership Team comprised of representatives from various departments within the agency. This will encourage involvement from all areas of LCSO.
Want to Join?
To be considered for YAC membership, a student must:
- Attend a high school within the LCSO service area.
- Be a rising high school sophomore, junior or senior with 2.0 min GPA
- Limited unexcused absences from school
- Download and complete an application which contains:
- An essay explaining the desire to serve on the council.
- Parental approval to serve on the council.
- School administration or School Resource Deputy (SRD) approval to serve on the council.
- Applications are accepted at the end of the school year (May-June)
- Applications will be reviewed by YAC Advisors for selection. Applicants will be notified by phone, email, and US Mail of their standing.
Expectations of Members
YAC members will be expected to:
- Attend monthly scheduled meetings
- Be an active and passionate representative of Leon County and their school.
- Identify and discuss issues youth are facing in the youth in our county
- Work to create strategies that address these issues
- Be motivated to develop leadership, advocacy, and team building skills
- Show kindness, dignity and respect to other members and the youth advisory council staff advisor
Participation in the Youth Advisory Council will provide member opportunities to:
- Advise the Sheriff and Executive Staff on policy matters impacting youth and serve as an advocate for youth issues
- Develop valuable leadership, advocacy, and team building skills
- Promote volunteerism, professionalism, responsibility, and essential skills
- Increase confidence and communication skills
- Gain valuable networking connections
- Strengthen resume and college applications
- Promote community involvement
- Offer a fresh and unique perspective to the Sheriff’s Office
- Earn community service hours
- Meet other youth
Fill out the application from the link above and submit to: email@example.com or mail it to LCSO Youth Advisory Council PO BOX 727 Tallahassee, FL 32302 by June 30th for consideration.